Hate crimes are any crimes that are targeted at a person because of hostility or prejudice towards that persons:

Race or Ethnicity
Religion or Belief
Sexual Orientation
Transgender Identity

A victim does not have to be a member of the group at which the hostility is targeted. In fact, anyone could be a victim of a hate crime.

Hate Incidents can feel like crimes to those who suffer them and often escalate to crimes or tension in a community. For this reason the police are concerned about incidents and you can use this site to report non-crime hate incidents. The police can only prosecute when the law is broken but can work with partners to try and prevent any escalation in seriousness.

Hate crimes and incidents hurt; they can be confusing and frightening.

By reporting them when they happen to you, you may be able to prevent these incidents from happening to someone else. You will also help the police understand the extent of hate crime in your local area so they can better respond to it.

Reporting makes a difference - to you, your friends, and your life.

If you've witnessed or have been involved in a hate crime you can Report A Crime report it now

Can I make a report anonymously?
Yes. We would encourage victims to give us their full details as this allows us to give them the best service to resolve the problems, but reports can be anonymous.

Can anyone report a hate incident?
Yes. Anyone can report a hate incident. We encourage you to report any hate incident that you have experienced or witnessed. We will believe you and make sure that the report goes to the appropriate agency to deal with. You do not have to be a council tenant to report a hate incident. All residents can report a hate incident at any office across the city.

I am a member of staff, can I make a report?
Yes. Hate incidents can happen anywhere to anyone. You have a right to be treated fairly at work and we will work with you to stop the behaviour.

The incident was only verbal abuse, should I report it?
Yes. Reporting hate incidents can prevent more serious things from occurring. We will respond to hate incidents in a proportionate manner. Somebody else might also be suffering and your information might give us the clue we need to identify the perpetrator.

Where does my report go?
When you report at a hate incident reporting centre, you will have access to a multi-agency process that works to support all victims of hate incidents. To get the best service, you can choose to send your report to West Yorkshire Police and BHCA team.

What can you do to help me?
The multi-agency approach means that the relevant agencies will work together to take action to stop the abuse. With your consent, the agencies can prosecute the perpetrator or take other appropriate action. We work with you to stop the abuse.

What if I only want the police to know?
You can always report the incident to the police. If for any reason you are not able to approach the police, than report the incident through a Hate Incident Reporting Centre.

If you are a child, some centres may have a duty of care to help children who may be at risk. A child is anyone under 18 years. This means that they would speak to you about the need to get you help and support.